We are starting to document the 40+ year history of Peninsula Velo, which was founded in 1974. We begin with a profile of James Hibbard, who raced as a junior on the track and road for PV in 1996-7 . We also like to give a shout out to James’ parents for driving him to the Hellyer track after high school studies (important in the success of any junior racer).
James went on to be one of the top junior, collegiate and U23 racers on the track and road in the US. He raced as a professional on the road in the early 2000’s with the Shaklee and HealthNet cycling teams. Along the way he did graduate studies in philosophy at DePaul University, which is (of course) a prerequisite for the track pursuit focus. He is also a qualified track coach, as he has helped many old guys get faster!
Here are a few photos highlighting James’ days as a junior racer for PV. You can appreciate the colorful late-90’s PV team jersey!
James Hibbard – Career Highlights
- Member USA National Team (1999-2000)
- Team Shaklee UCI Professional Cycling Team (2000)
- HealthNet UCI Professional Cycling Team (2005)
- 19 time Junior/ U-23/ Elite Northern California Nevada State Champion
- Bronze, Elite Men Track—Southern Games (Trinidad and Tobago)
- 5th (Team Sprint) 2000 Olympic Team Trials
- 13 time Junior/U-23/Collegiate National Championship medalist
- EDS Track Cup Winner, Team Pursuit
- Regional Track Cup medalist
- Collegiate Track Cycling All-American
- Junior World Championship long team member, Team Pursuit